Teachers in Florida were asked to submit their innovative teaching ideas the week of January 11 for an opportunity to win State Farm Teacher Assist grants. In less than 2 hours, 200 entry forms were submitted by Florida teachers.
State Farm is awarding $100,000 to teachers across Florida. Forty teachers will each receive a $2,500 grant to implement or support their classroom projects. Visit the State Farm Teacher Assist website for a complete list of winners.
There are 5 winning teachers out of 200 in Collier and Lee counties:
• Laura Pacter at Shadowlawn Elementary School in Naples: The grant funds will be used to create a school reading garden.
• Joy Williams at North Fort Myers High School: The grant funds will blend the Arts and Sciences to build an analemmatic sun clock between the school bus ramp and the garden.
• Marion Eidem at Pace Center for Girls in Fort Myers: The grant funds will allows students to record, edit and share videos on Chrome so teachers can engage students in both cooperative and individual learning.
• Anna Haag at Trafalgar Middle School in Cape Coral: The grant will assist students in improving their reading skills, support a better understanding of science and the human body and will also teach life-saving first aid and CPR skills.
• Dianna Quay at Cape Coral High School: Purchase video equipment to produce student led videos on suicide prevention, bullying, texting and driving.
Nationwide, State Farm is awarding $500,000 in grants to teachers. Two hundred teachers, 40 each in Florida, California, Michigan, New York and Texas will each be receiving $2,500 State Farm Teacher Assist grants. The money will help them meet the challenges of teaching during the pandemic.
“As a company, we have a long history of working with teachers, educators, and students across the country. We are heartened by the immense response received from teachers sharing their solutions to overcoming challenges,” said Annette Martinez, State Farm senior vice president. “Congratulations to the winners. We are proud to support you and help you reach your goals.” ¦