Continuing our series on the esteemed and respected art community leaders that have joined the judging panel of the upcoming Kangaroo Island Easter Art Exhibition; we introduce Rhana Devonport.
Alongside Emma Fey, Rhana Devonport will oversee all judging duties at the highly anticipated 16 day event.
It will be the 35th anniversary of the now biennial event – which will be held at the Penneshaw Town Hall from Good Friday.
Rhana is the Director, Art Gallery of South Australia, and was Director, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tmaki, Aotearoa New Zealand from 2013 to 2018. She was also was curator of ‘Lisa Reihana: Emissaries’, the New Zealand Pavilion at La Biennale di Venezia in 2017.
Rhana was Director of Govett-Brewster Art Gallery in New Plymouth, New Zealand, where during her seven-year tenure, she broadened audiences, led the curatorial programme, and played a key advocacy and fundraising role for the Len Lye Centre expansion and development project that successfully opened in 2015.
Previous positions include Manager of Public Programmes, Biennale of Sydney (2005- 2006); Curator in Residence, Artspace NZ, Auckland (2005); Visual Arts Manager, Sydney Festival (2004); and Senior Project Officer, Asia Pacific Triennial, Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane, Australia (1994-2004).
In 2018 Rhana was appointed an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit for her ‘Services to Arts Governance’ in the New Year Honours List.
Key dates for the 2021 Kangaroo Island Arts Festival:
- Entry forms due: Sunday 28 February 2021
- Images of art due: Monday 15 March 2021
- Exhibits to be delivered to Penneshaw Hall: Sunday 21 March (3pm 5pm) and Wednesday 24 March (10am4pm)
- Opening night: Friday 2 April; doors open at 6.30pm
- Meet the judges: Saturday 3 April from 10.30am
- Extended opening hours: Wed 7 and Wed 14 April, to 8pm
- Exhibition closes: Sunday 18 April